Friday, June 2, 2017

Plaid Linen Elani Tunic


When you like something, you like it...



This is my version of the Style Arc Elani Tunic, which Style Arc describes as "Versatile style with all the features you would want in a tunic. Easy to make and wear with its dropped shoulder, turned back cuff, inseam pockets and a dropped back hemline."


Folks: it's basically the Adeline Dress in tunic form!


It's got the soft v-neck of the Adeline dress, a topstitched neckline facing, faced sleeves (that you can turn back for a cuffed look, or not) and a faced high/low hem. There are in-seam pockets, although they don't really look like the pockets in the technical drawing; they're just regular, free-hanging amoeba-shaped pockets.


Do I love it? Yes. 

Is it basically a shortened version of the Adeline dress, which I also love? Yes. 


Could I have shortened the dress myself rather than buy another pattern? Yes. 

Am I mad at it? No.


I cut the back in one piece because the seam had no shaping and I didn't want to pattern match on this shifty lightweight linen.


Speaking of linen, this lovely linen is from my local shop here in Bangkok. It's super lightweight and crinkly, but so airy and nice. And the colors are great! 



Back to the Elani: I put the in-seam pockets in, which I am regretting. I kinda forgot: I hate in-seam pockets! I know, I know... commence virtual stoning. But they are so bunchy and floppy and annoying and what the heck am I going to put in them that's not just going to fall out when I sit down? Sigh. I may go back and remove them, I find them that annoying. I think if they had been as they seemed in the technical drawing: topstitched into the bodice and hem, then maybe I wouldn't hate them. But they aren't. And I really need no help bulking out my hip area. That's what beer, butter and bread are for.


But, despite the pockets, I love my Elani tunic! Comfy, cool...

23 comments:

  1. I was eyeing up this pattern as a potential contender for a beach cover-up so it's nice to see it made up. That linen looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cute one! This linen is the best... I'm thinking I might have to go back and get it in another color.

      Delete
  2. That looks great on you, perfect fit! And I've discovered the hard way that I hate inseam pockets too! But they are so easy... I fall for it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I often don't put inseam pocketsin, certainly not in pants or skirts, but I think I was tricked by the line drawing here.

      Delete
  3. I'm not stoning you! I totally hate the bunching/flopping bit too. I much prefer welts or patch pockets. This shape suits you so well, and that linen looks like the perfect answer to summer's woes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm all about patch pockets, too, or, for pants/skirts, slant edge pockets that are sewn to the pant leg/skirt front so they don't move around.

      Delete
  4. Cute! I love the plaid linen. I like inseam pockets but they've got to be in the right place. I prefer a little higher up towards my waist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, these might be better higher up. Right now they hit close to my widest point and can't figure out where to hang.

      Delete
  5. Why not go ahead and stitch them to the front? It will work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I topstitched the side seam pockets I put in a Southport dress and they work great. I LOVED your comment 'am I mad at it?' I even went back to read it, as it cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) Yeah, I'll try topstitching these babies, because they are driving me nuts!

      Delete
  7. What a great top! I have fabric envy - I would sell my cat for linen like that. I've been eyeing that pattern and your version has made me add it to my cart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- not the cat!! ;-)

      And thank you!!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute top! I made both the Adeline and Elani too...I even asked Style Arc if they were the same and bought them both anyway with no regrets. I hated the pockets too and ended up cutting them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Interesting that you bought them both, too. Did Style Arc say they were essentially the same? I may go the same route re: pockets.

      Delete
  10. You are so prolific!! I loved your "am I mad at it?" line too. Hahahaha!! You are the number one pattern enabler in my life. I love this one on you! And I hate inseam pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Who knew there were so many in-seam pocket haters out there!

      Delete
  11. Cute - I love pockets but I'd also topstitch them on a top or they'd drive me mad flopping about as well. Love this summery linen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, they will not last long as is. I'm wearing it one more time today to confirm that I hate them.

      Delete
  12. RE: Your local Bangkok fabric shop. Is the name of the shop Hieng Yoo Huat (at the BTS Asoke intersection)? I ask because I plan to do fabric shopping in BKK this fall. I am familiar with the above shop, but if you are referring to a different shop, with quality fabrics, I would really appreciate a referral. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pamela- funny that you ask- I was just sending my Bangkok shopping trips to another reader. Yes, this linen is from Hieng Yoo Huat. I shop there a lot because it's really convenient. But here are my other recommendations, too:

      Bangkok's Chinatown (called Yaowarat) has tons of fabric shops. Most are found on or just off of this one walking lane, Sampeng (map and directions: https://bkkquilt.com/sampeng/). It's hot and crowded, but lots of deals to be had. The prices are typically marked/fixed, so no bargaining necessary. My favorite Sampeng stores are Belleboo for nice cotton (quilting weight and cotton lawn), L.Gemini for knit fabric, Fabric Centre/Cotton House, a 3 meters/100 baht store... lots of other good ones whose names I can't read/remember, too! Lots of Japanese selvage denim and other goodies sprinkled throughout. It's best to shop here during the week days because some of the shops close on the weekends.
      Also near Yaowarat is the Chinaworld Mall, which is air conditioned and had lots of garment fabric shops. It's right across from Pahurat Textile Market.
      Hieng Yoo Huat is very conveniently located near Asoke BTS/Sukhumvit MRT stations and is a lovely little shop full of garment fabric: https://www.facebook.com/hyhfabric. I shop there a lot because it's the easiest for me to get to quickly. Also, just around the corner from this shop, maybe 3 or 4 shop fronts down, is a small store that sells findings (I can't remember the name, sorry!) I buy buttons, zippers, thread and needles there often. They have Japanese machine needles that work great in my Janome and they are crazy cheap- like a pack of 5 for 20 baht (like 80 cents).
      If you want silk and other Thai fabrics, there are lots of tailor shops in Amarin Plaza that will also sell Thai-style fabrics, including silk, mudmee, ikat, indigo dyed fabrics.
      The Jim Thompson factory outlet is fun to check out, very close to the BTS. It has several floors of fabric (although most is home decor fabric), as well as a couple floors of discounted gifts, clothes and housewares.

      Delete