Friday, February 3, 2017

Testing, testing: Tilly and the Buttons Zadie Dress


Today's I've got my tester version of the new Tilly and the Buttons Zadie dress for you!


There were a few minor changes made to the pattern since testing (namely fixing a slight grading error in the short sleeve that is causing the wrinkling in the photo below), but I think my test version is still a pretty good representation of the final pattern! You can see more versions in Tilly's launch post.


Here is the description of the Zadie dress as provided by Tilly and her team:
"The dress has striking diagonal seams, concealing lovely (and practical!) in-seam pockets. The fitted bodice has a flattering empire waistline and round neckline finished with a neckband. It flares out into a feminine, knee-length semi-pleated skirt that’s great for swishing. Choose from cap, three-quarter or full length raglan sleeves."

Zadie's angled seams at the sleeves and sides are perfect for colorblocking, which is what I went for (looks like Tilly has some really fun colorblocked Zadie dress kits in her shop, too!). My fabric is some ponte de roma from my stash, a teal blue for the main bodice and skirt, and black for the side panels, sleeves and neckbands.


I obviously opted for the cap sleeve version here, because Bangkok, but I think the Zadie would be perfect for cooler weather with the 3/4 or full length sleeves.


As far as construction goes, the point where the pocket, side panel, bodice and skirt all meet is a little bit tricksy, but Tilly's instructions are very thorough, as usual, and guide you through it easily (plus there is a sewalong for the Zadie pattern coming soon!). The rest of the dress is quite simple and straightforward to sew.


The pockets are delightfully deep! It's hard to keep your hands out of them!


I've worn this dress around town several times since testing and can attest to how incredibly comfortable it is. 


For reference: this is a size 7. Bust is probably the most important measurement for this dress since the skirt is full.

As an aside, I just want to say that I am glad that Tilly is using both thin and curvier models for her latest patterns... it helps to visualize what the pattern would look like on me! 


I'm pretty delighted with my Zadie dress! Comfortable, cute, giant pockets... check, check and check!

45 comments:

  1. I like it a lot. TATB patterns are for the most part very far removed from my personal style but I dig this one. Looks great on you meg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah!! I've had good luck with Tilly's patterns, but I agree, the styling can be quite outside my comfort zone.

      Delete
  2. So glad you've made this Meg, I love your version and now can't wait to make my own! You look fab in this, I really like the colour blocking. I'm actually pleased there's a little bit of thinking required when you get to the pockets, somehow makes me feel I've achieved more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheona! This pattern will look fabulous on you!

      Delete
  3. Oh this is really cute. I love the empire waist and the colour blocking. I might have to try this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! The color blocking is quite fun...

      Delete
  4. loks great on you Meg .. how are the pockets holding with wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far so good on pocket durability! The edge of the pocket is reinforced with clear elastic (you could probably use a selvage edge or something, too), so they're not stretching out.

      Delete
  5. This is cute on you: any modifications made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No mods. I was testing, so I made it as is.

      Delete
  6. I saw this on Twitter yesterday and loved the detail, but seeing it on you has made me pull the trigger!

    And it's nice they used a bigger woman for one of the sample dresses, but a bummer they put a solid colored version of the dress on her. It's just another plain dress for a big girl :-p on the plus side, now we know how *not* to make the Zadie - and in your version, how to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ebi! It's a cute dress. I definitely prefer the color blocked version. I am happy Tilly is showing a curvy model, though!

      Delete
  7. This looks fab on you - really flattering. I've not bought a Tilly pattern before (not me), but this one is tempting me now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It's a cute style, without being cutesy, if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  8. It looks great on you! I love the cap we've version, hadn't seen that one yet. Your color choices are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! I tried to de-twee it a bit with the darker colors.

      Delete
  9. Love the dress! Such a great style for you. I think this is the first Tilly pattern that I really have wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andie! This dress would look adorable on you!

      Delete
  10. I love this! I am so behind on new pattern releases. Did not even know this was a thing. I'm on a little bit of a pattern buying freeze, but I'm going to consider this when I unfreeze myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Ha, I feel you on pattern freezes... I should really be doing one myself!

      Delete
  11. I love you version!! Like Andie, this is one of the first Tilly patterns that have really tempted me. Maybe it's the pockets!! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margo! The pockets are pretty awesome!

      Delete
  12. I haven't felt these patterns were for me but this one could be, as others have said. Though not in the plain plus sized version on the advert; the colour blocking raises this dress a level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colorblocking really shows off the interesting design lines; without it they get a bit lost!

      Delete
  13. I've been thinking about buying this pattern, after reading your review I will! Love your version, great colours. xox Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! Can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  14. Suits you!
    Mary in Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect choice with the colour blocking Meg. It looks really great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely color. I think the pockets appeal to me the most in this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! The pockets are great- nice and deep!

      Delete
  17. I might have to give this one a go. My hip measurements usually size me out of Tilly's patterns but my bust measurement puts me in the size 8 so will hopefully be okay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd be ok, Nyssa- the skirt is quite full!

      Delete
  18. I like your colour blocking, it's very flattering. Do you think that you will make it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I think I would make it again; perhaps the 3/4 sleeve length. It's incredibly comfortable!

      Delete
  19. This looks so lovely on you. I've been considering this pattern and I wonder if it would be possible to take out some out the fullness in the pleated section CF & CB without effecting the waist/side seam too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Hmm, I bet you could easily a bit of fullness out at the center without changing the a-line shape.

      Delete
  20. I forgot to say I would be making the size 7.

    ReplyDelete