Friday, November 18, 2016

Neon Rose Gypsy Top


Some neon roses to brighten your Friday...


And bright they are!! (insert wide-eyed emoji here)

I made this blouse using the Designer Stitch Gypsy pattern, which is a dress, top or tunic with options for a scoop neck or cross-over bodice and four skirt lengths/styles (shirt, tunic, high-low hem and maxi with side slits). 

I received the pattern for free from Ann at Designer Stitch, but with no expectation that I would make or review it.


I love simple garments like this; they're my favorite thing to wear and I love how they highlight a pretty fabric. The fabric is viscose, I think, from a vendor in Singapore's People's Park fabric area.


I went with a size 6 graded to 7 at the hip (in U.S. sizes, that's a 12 to a 14), which seemed fine. There is a lot of ease in this design; it's purposefully loose fitting and blouse-y.  

I topstitched the neckline facings down, figuring I was going to have topstitching elsewhere on the blouse and this would keep the facing from flipping outwards.


The neckline is a nice shape. It's wide, but I don't find it gapes. I do find, however, that the armholes are quite large. My bra band shows under my arm, big time. 


The Gypsy pattern begs to be compared to the Style Arc Olivia dress, another elastic waist, cut-on sleeve, scoop neck dress I've made for myself and a couple of my friends. They're quite similar patterns, both good, but each has its pros and cons.


Here's my comparison:

The sleeves on the Gypsy dress are a bit longer and the scoop neck is a little bit narrower, too, which is good, as I found the Olivia neckline gaped a bit.

I found the armholes low on both patterns, but it was more easily remedied in the Olivia because the sleeves are shorter so you can just sew up the side seams another inch.

The Gypsy has far more neckline and skirt options than the Olivia pattern, but, frankly, if you're just planning to make the scoop neck, knee-length dress and already have Olivia, you probably don't need the Gypsy.


I like my new shirt! Quick and easy to make, and equally easy to wear...