Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chinese-Style BBQ Ribs

Tim and I have had a rack of baby-back ribs in the freezer since Super Bowl... since we were running low on freezer space, we decided to bust them out for a slow-cooked Sunday dinner. 

(Sorry the photos are so bad... after smelling these things cooking for 3 hours, I was too impatient to set things up for a good photo.  Had to eat.)


We decided a Chinese-esque marinade sounded good, so I made a marinade that was an amalgamation of a Gourmet magazine recipe and a Rasa Malaysia recipe, with much success.  The resulting ribs were sweet, spicy, sticky and sliding off the bone.  Highly recommended.


Here's what I did:

- 1 rack of baby back pork ribs
- 1-2 tablespoons peeled, minced ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons peeled, minced garlic
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
-  a couple big squirts of Sriracha sauce (maybe 2 tablespoons?)
- Course ground black pepper

  • I blitzed it all together with my stick-blender, reserved about 1/4-1/3 cup, and poured the rest over the rack of ribs.  
  • I marinated the ribs in the fridge for about 7 hours.  
  • I set the oven to somewhere between 325 and 350 F (our oven is in Celsius and is quite inaccurate to boot so I do a lot of estimating), wrapped the ribs in tin foil with the marinade (meaty side down) and cooked them for about 2.5 hours until they were tender and almost falling off the bone.  
  • I opened up the foil, turned the ribs meaty side up, poured the reserved marinade over the top and broiled the ribs for about 7 or 8 minutes (until the marinade was bubbly and caramelized).
  • Served with rice and sauteed veggies.