Sunday, July 15, 2012

Apple Pancake Rings

I found this recipe idea via Pinterest, but it originated with Carla Hall (former Top Chef contestant and current panelist on The Chew, a talk/cooking show):  apple pancake rings.  Quite a cute idea.


I didn't follow her recipe exactly, but instead used it as inspiration.  I made a simple (perhaps the simplest) pancake batter, a la Jamie Oliver: 1 cup self-rising flour, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, pinch of salt.  Then I peeled and cored 2 local Malang apples and thinly, thinly sliced them into rings using my mandoline slicer.   I threw the rings into the batter to coat, and then cooked them as I would normal pancakes, on a hot skillet with a little bit of butter.  

So good!  The apple softens up a bit as it cooks, but still maintains a bit of crunch for texture.  Awesome.